Welcome to my blog!
The debate - As a Board we’ve engaged in numerous dialogues about the
size of the Board and about the non-regional Trustee positions. We’ve read books about the composition and
size of boards. We’ve had Trustee to
Represent Diverse Cultures talk to us about his position. We’ve held discussions about the currently vacant teacher Trustee position. I would like to continue, and focus, the discussion.
I would like to "discuss" this topic on a blog. We can share their opinions, agree or disagree with other's postings, and in short, start the discussion prior to the meeting to save us all some time.
Proposed Changes - The Regional Trustees (3 from each region) represent the
members in the states from that region, covering the United States and many
foreign countries. If the Regional
Trustees represent the region, does it matter where the “at large” Trustees
live? Is there a reason why these
positions are designed by region as well? Shouldn’t these positions fill
competency and skill gaps in the board? What if the positions were redesigned?
At Large Defined - An “At Large”
board member is defined as, “a person elected or selected for a board for
his/her experience, expertise, or special insight.” In our book study about boards, the sizes of
boards, and the composition of boards, we learned it is important to have the
right people on the board. People who
bring the skills and talents needed at that particular time to help the board
in its decision-making.
The Questions:
1) Do our "at large" Trustees need to be designated from a particular region?
2) Should these positions be filled by who is candidate is (teacher, administrator, higher ed, etc.), where they live (by designated regions), or by what skills the candidate will bring to the board?
3) What are your ideas?
3) What are your ideas?
I would like all Trustees to read the previously posted comments and then share his/her thoughts to one or both of the questions.
1) With the regional representatives, I can't see a need to designate the "at large" positions from a particular region. We want people in those positions who have the knowledge and skill level to complete the board.
ReplyDelete2) I would like the see the board be well rounded. Teachers, school level administrators, district and/or state level administrators, and higher education voices are all important voices.
3) An "at large" position helps complete the board - - filling in whatever skills and knowledge that needs to be represented. I would like to see these in "skills" instead of regions or by demographics.
Hi Carol,
ReplyDeleteDid this comment work?
I'm in on this one also!
ReplyDeleteShelley
Carol, do you want us to add the information we developed on our hard copy sheet? I'd love to see what others thought.
ReplyDeleteThis is a great idea. It pushes us all forward in multiple ways. Thank you! YOU are a valuable asset!
ReplyDeleteThank you Carol!
ReplyDelete